Translate

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Its Only Tuesday

What a week.

Sunday brought about unscheduled haircuts, birthday parties, and late night bowling.  Not to mention the absolute most embarrassing loss by any NFL team at the Super Bowl.  Like I say, if you are going to brag about how good you are then you had better bring it all.  The Broncos brought nothing.

I'm no Manning fan.  So what?  There is just something about Peyton that has never sat right with me and Eli isn't much better.  So when a no-name QB blew away the Broncos and embarrassed the shit out of the entire team, I celebrated.  Was very happy to have anyone other than a Manning standing up there with the trophy.

Although, given the choice I will always pick the Patriots and Brady over anyone or any team.  Always.

Monday was an average day.  Some things went right.  Some things went wrong.  Putting together my resume was harder than I expected it to be.  Not because it was hard to remember all my jobs or what I did when, but because the resume template I was using would not work right no matter what I did.  And no matter how many times I had asked John to "help" me, it still wasn't right.

Monday was also the day I realized I had not yet revealed my Resolution for February.

It was quite a toss up deciding what I really wanted to focus on.  Would it be laundry - which is always piled up and ironing needing to be done, or would it be finally getting my act together and hitting the gym (in home) in the mornings so I could get into shape?  Of course there was a third option I had been contemplating - get down to business and finally get a job.

For four years I've looked.  Not with serious vigor, but I must have applied to 200 different positions over the course of the last five years and by this time I had just about given up.

Enter Tuesday.  Last week I get a text from a neighbor whose been a pretty good friend.  She forwarded to me a text her sister had sent her in which she was looking for 10 people to fill data entry positions immediately.  I know what you're thinking - scam.  I thought it too.  But since I know Vic and I was fairly certain, being an employee of the law, she would not pull me into something of questionable origins.  So I texted back and by the time the conversation was over I had a contact name and number for her sister.  A quick call to D (the sister) and we had an interview scheduled for Tuesday afternoon.

So here we are Tuesday ----  I go to the interview thinking its not going to be anything great and it turns out the job could be my saving grace.  A way back into government work I have been looking for for years !!!  Vic's sister, D works for a local county government so the job she is hiring for is with the government.  Doing data entry.  Granted its a temporary position (17 to 20 weeks in length) but its full time employment at $15 an hour.  And it could turn into perm employment if I perform to their liking.

With a little adjustment to John's schedule, and as long as I can get the girls into SACC, then all is good.  I FINALLY have a job.  And its only Tuesday, the 4th of February.

Well, I guess that takes care of one Resolution, which now begs the question - what do I focus on for this month?

As it turns out, I am going to stick with my third option.  Modified slightly.  Instead of focusing on "finding" a job I am going to focus on "keeping" a job.  I haven't been this excited about having a job since I got hired as the UA of my Reserve Unit back in 2003.  I loved that job and I really did not want to leave it.  But rather than being forced out, I left voluntarily, hoping that one day; some day I would find a way back in.  And today; well today appears I did just that.

So now I have the job my goal for February is to out-perform any of the other applicants so that by the end of the 20 weeks I'll be a shoe-in for an invite to stay on with the county.

No comments:

Post a Comment